3 cups water or broth
2 1/2 cup chopped potatoes (the recipe calls for peeled but I didn't)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
4 strips bacon
2 1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp flour
8 oz. shredded melty cheese (Velveeta or similar)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add water/broth and potatoes to a large stockpan and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until potatoes are slightly tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, fry bacon until crispy. Drain.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook onion and garlic until tender.
4. Stir 2 cups of milk into broth mixture.
5. In a small dish, combine flour with remaining milk, stirring well.
6. Gradually stir flour mixture into soup and bring to a boil.
7. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often until reduced.
8. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.