Big girl things, like work, got in the way of my celebrations this year, but I was able to make some fancy, schmany Mardi Gras inspired cupcakes. I cheated and started with a boxed yellow cake mix, but you could use any cake mix recipe you like to make your own.
Mardi Gras Cupcakes
1 box white or yellow cake mix
Other ingredients listed on box (mine called for 3 eggs, water, and oil)
Yellow, Green, Blue and Red (or Purple) food coloring
1. Mix batter as directed on box. I beat all ingredients together in an electric stand mixer on low for about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides as needed.
2. Divide batter into 3 medium sized bowls.
3. In each of the bowls, add food coloring, until you are happy with the color. One bowl should be yellow, one green, and one purple. If you are using liquid food coloring, you may want to cut back some of the water in the original recipe.
4. Layer cupcake pans with batter. I did purple, yellow, green.
5. Ice and decorate as desired.