I came upon this recipe, and was pleasantly surprised by how easy they were to make, roll out, and, of course, eat. I think you'll love them too!
3 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
.75 tsp baking soda
.25 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
1.75 tsp cinnamon
.25 tsp ground cloves
6 tbsp butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 tsp vanilla
1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon 7 cloves.
2. In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar and egg on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add molasses and vanilla, and mix until well combined.
4. Gradually stir ingredients into sugar/butter mixture, blending until smooth.
5. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and divide in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled.
6. Preheat oven to 375.
7. Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll on a lightly floured surface until dough is 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
8. Cut cookies with various shaped cookie cutters, rerolling scraps to use up all dough. Repeat with the other portion.
9. Place cookies 1 inch apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
10. Allow cookies to cool on pan before moving them to a wire cooling rack.
11. Decorate as desired!
For tips and tricks on decorating with Royal Icing, check out the wonderful tutorial on Annie's Eats!