He is diabetic, so his sugar intake is important, and his diet is monitored pretty closely. Luckily for him, this recipe is made from safe, whole foods...and is actually perfectly safe for people to eat, too! I know that my family won't feel guilty sneaking him these treats and he'll love them because well...we all love peanut butter!
If you think baking dog treats is wayyyyy too high maintenance, you're crazy. This is a super simple recipe that basically just involves dumping everything into a bowl, stirring,and baking. Of course, the cute shapes require a little rolling and cutting but that's no big deal for sweet Colby (and uhh it's kind of fun).
While you've got all hand on deck in the kitchen this season, throw a "bone" to the dog in your life!
Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
1 tbsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg and then add baking powder and flour to combine. Add peanut butter, honey and water and stir until dough becomes firm and sticky, using your hands to knead until well incorporated.
3. Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch. Use cookie cutters of your choice to cut treats, rerolling and cutting until all dough is cut.
4. Place cut out cookies on baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes, or until cookies are just chilled. This helps them to spread less while baking.
5. Baking 20 minutes, or until golden brown. (for a shinier finish, brush each cookie with an egg wash before baking)
5. Move cookies to a baking rack to cool and harden. Store in an airtight container - they won't last long!