Ellie's recipe is already insanely healthy, but I took it up a notch because...well, why not? Also, it was an accident that I left out the oil, so my "bread" is pretty dense....but taste tests by yours truly have confirmed that it is still delicious. And I'm thinking it would be even more delicious toasted.
You can find the original recipe here, but here is my "doctored up" version.
Non-Fat 100% Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 scoop unflavored protein powder (I use Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar baking blend
3 eggs worth of Eggbeaters
4 oz. nonfat cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp Splenda for baking
1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Add water to protein powder until a thin paste is formed.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, spices, brown sugar and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, protein powder and egg substitute until well combined.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing just enough to combine evenly.
4. Mix softened cream cheese with splenda.
5. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and add cream cheese. Pour the rest of the batter on top.
6. Bake until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Source: Adapted from Ellie Krieger's Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries recipe