He has a blog about it.
He dreams about it.
He travels the country in search of the best of the best.
Yields 8 giant buns, or 16 diner rolls
1 1/2 cups wam water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp light corn syrup
5 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp dry milk powder
2 tbsp butter, melted
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp instant yeast
1. Place ingredients in the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer (mine is liquid, sugar, milk powder, butter, flour, yeast, salt).
2. Set machine to "dough" setting and allow cycle to complete.
3. Turn the risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Form each into rounds and place on a lightly greasted baking sheet.
4. Cover the rolls with a cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Mix one egg yolk with 1 tbsp cream and brush lightly over each roll. Sprinkle with sea salt.
7. Bake rolls until golden brown, about 22 minutes.