Here are a few tips and funsies we learned along the way that I hope will make the trip a little easier for anyone considering Iceland!
1. Iceland is amazingly beautiful and ALIVE! It is a wonderful reminder of the changes still happening to the Earth. The Ice Age was not the end to volcanos and continental drift and geysers and bubbling springs.
2. It's not as expensive as you may have heard. Although the Icelandic Kronar is not as great as the (unprecedented) rate of the Dollar to Euro right now, the smaller capital city of Keflavik is still comparably priced to the major cities in Europe.
3. Rent a car and get a GPS. We had great rates with Budget, but shop around.
4. Use AirBnb instead of a hotel. There are a lot of various properties throughout the country, and everyone we met was incredibly gracious and welcoming.
5. Don't worry about converting cash. Literally, everywhere we went took credit cards. Some didn't take American Express, but we didn't have a problem with anything else.
6. Rent a car with 4WD if you are considering any off-roading. But, remember that gas is expensive.
7. Bring a swimsuit and experience an Icelandic hot tub. We loved Laugarvatn Fontana!
We had some great adventures, too. For more info about each one, check out the Golden Circle, Reykjavik and Southern Coast posts.